BEING A PROFESSIONAL TEACHER
I strongly believe that schools and institutions should foster teamwork
and promote collaborative tasks. Personally, I have experienced both individual
and enriching collaborative working styles. As teachers, we should study,
update, research and share because if we want a change we should start by doing
something different.
Early this morning, I read an article in our local newspaper, “LA
NACION” Argentina, about Portugal's education system, which achieved the first
position in the recent evaluations. The OECD revealed that the achievement was
based in strengthening the former and last years of mandatory education,
reducing schools’ bureaucracy, reforming rural schools, double shift
timetables for primary schools, integrating the three educational levels,
master professional training for teachers (6 years in all), competitive
salaries for teachers among other policies.
Besides, it included teaching standards, criteria and instruments for
appraisals, and consequences on career progression. The system focuses more on
accountability (career progression) than on improvement and provides limited
opportunities for feedback on strengths and weaknesses in teaching practice.
While classroom observation is part of regular performance management in most
countries, classroom observations in Portugal are only mandatory in specific
cases, such as to obtain an excellent mark in the probationary year or if the teacher received an insufficient mark on the previous appraisal.
We can make the change and I am sure it is worth trying!
Great Job, Maby!
ReplyDeleteThank you Adriana! I'm glad you liked it!
ReplyDelete