PERSONAL NARRATIVES
As far as I know, a personal narrative is a form of writing in which the writer describes an event or experience from his or her personal life.
Therefore, the writer writes it in the first person, sharing part of his or her
life with the reader who is involved in the story as a direct
"witness" who has the chance to appraise the writer's thoughts,
reactions, feelings and sensory perceptions through the writing piece.
I experienced the personal narrative genre when I attended an immersion
course some years ago. I wrote about a frightening experience I had during a
fire at work. I remember that I used complex sentences, nouns, noun phrases,
adjectives and adjectival phrases to describe it because I felt I had to
"paint" a detailed picture of the story I lived. In order to involve
the reader, I asked him or her questions about what he or she would do in a
similar situation. I tried to maintain the reader's interest providing some
funny details as well. As a close-up, I gave a piece of advice to the reader
related to emergencies though I stated I preferred they never use it.
As a counterpart, I read my mates' personal narratives, in fact, some of
them were very funny and frightening at the same time.
Comments
Post a Comment